Monday, October 25, 2010

Battle Symphony and Fur Elise

SINFONIE
Wellington's Victory
Battle of Vitoria
The Battle Symphony
Opus 91
Prince Regent gewidmet
Komponiert 1813

Battle of Vitoria
Picture courtesy of britishbattles.com

Although this is a common misconception, this song was written to commemorate Wellington's victory over Joseph Bonparte in the Battle of Vitoria in Spain on June 21, 1813, not Wellington's defeat of Napolean Bonparte in the Battle of Waterloo. I hate it when people get mixed up about my songs.  




1st Movement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUZNAZ3LHnw









Fur Elise
a-minor, Bagatelle No. 25
Therese Malfatti von Rohrenbach zu Dezza gewidmet
Komponiert April 27, 1810
Therese Malfatti
Picture courtesy of Google Images

Like I've said before, I hate it when people get mixed up about my songs. This piece's actual title is Fur Therese, referring to Therese Malfatti, who I had once wanted to marry and who I had dedicated this piece to. She was my student and close confidant. I'd proposed to her in the year 1810 with this song in my head, however, she turned me down and married another. Therefore, I did not publish this piece during my lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment