Sunday, December 5, 2010

Early Period: 1790 - 1800


Ludwig van Beethoven in 1801 by Carl Traugott Riedel
Portrait courtesy of timelines.com
11 April, 1803

I have once again resumed my art of reporting my life's history. Some events in these past ten years have been my worst memories. Yet, I have still managed to keep living a relatively content life.

I begin my story in the year of 1792. It was during the fall season that I left my hometown of Bonn, just as the armies of the French Revolution was storming the provinces of Rhineland. (Like others from Bonn, I am partial to the French Revolution. I was attracted to the ideas of the Enlightenment, which had previously been thought of has impossible utopian ideals, although seeing the French Revolution in action made me think otherwise.) Bonn would later submit to the hands of the French, and I would never return to my hometown. However, before I left Bonn, I created a very famous profile for myself and came to be known to almost every citizen in north-western Germany! So famous was I that people had begun to say that my talent as an improviser was even greater than that of Mozart! Imagine that: greater than Mozart himself!

It is no wonder that my reputation preceded me and as soon as I moved to Vienna after leaving Bonn that many aristocrats of Vienna scrambled to get their jewel-encrusted claws on me. Some of my earlier patrons included Gottfried, Baron von Swieten and Karl, Furst von Lichnowsky, all of whom were supporters of my former teacher and most admired composer and pianist, Mozart. Thus, I added a van- to my last name, creating a new name for myself: Ludwig van Beethoven as well as giving myself a presumed aristocratic title as many aristocrats of my time had van- or von- in their last name.

It must have been willed by God that by the time I traveled to Vienna, the city itself was called the City of Music. Music was appreciated everywhere in this city, and there were hardly any nobles who did not play music themselves or hire musicians (such as myself) to play for them. Prince Lichnowsky himself offered me free board and lodgings to which I graciously accepted. I've said it before and I"ll say it again, but nobles have and will always bow down to me and not I to them! In the year of 1795, I gave my first public performance in Vienna where I played my Concerto Opus 19, No. 2 and a concerto composed by Mozart.

Later, I composed and published the Three Trios for Piano, Violin, and Cello, Opus 1. This composition was subscribed to by many nobles, which just shows how sought for I was in Vienna. Nothing less expected from my genius! Throughout the next three years, I traveled to Berlin and Prague to give concerts during my tours. On April 2, 1800, I performed my First Symphony and my Septet Opus 20 in a grand-scale public concert, thus causing my fame to spread even more.

Despite the music I composed and the fame I earned, this period was not an entirely happy one. In the year of 1796, I began to notice a slight buzzing or ringing in my ears. It was slightly unpleasant, but I was still able to play, compose, and hear music and therefore it did not bother me. Only years later would I understand the severity of my condition. Only years later would I not be able to hear the joys of music again.

I shall continue my story at a later date, for the constant ringing in my ears is annoying the hell out of me.

Sincerely,



No comments:

Post a Comment